Man accused of killing his mother and nephew may be competent within a year

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — A doctor says a man accused of killing his mother and nephew in Sioux Falls may be ready to proceed with his case within a year.

Heath Otto has so far been found legally incompetent to stand trial in the 2016 deaths of 48-year-old Carol Simon and 7-year-old Braydon Otto.

The Argus Leader reports a doctor at the Human Services Center in Yankton has submitted a certificate saying there is a “substantial probability” that Otto will make enough progress within a year to stand trial. The finding was discussed at a brief court hearing on the status of the case Wednesday afternoon.

Court documents say Otto told investigators he strangled the two and cut their throats in November 2016 because he wanted to put them out of their misery.

___

Information from: Argus Leader, http://www.argusleader.com

Associated Press

Associated Press

Top Stories

STORM TEAM 4 FORECAST
Connect with KTIV
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content