SIOUX CITY (KTIV) – According to Sioux City Fire Rescue, up to five house fires per year are caused by space heaters.
Sioux City Firefighters tell me half of home heating fires are reported in the months of December, January, and February.
To prevent an incident there are some things you can do to keep you and your family warm and safe.
Furnaces, fireplaces and wood stoves also have been known to cause fires.
Firefighters recommend placing combustibles at least three feet away from heating equipment.
People also are encouraged to turn off their space heaters, while they’re sleeping and when leaving the room.
Using the fuel recommended by the manufacturer of the product also is recommended.
In addition, sturdy screens should be in place to prevent flying sparks from the fireplace.
Heating equipment and chimneys should be cleaned and inspected each year.
Most importantly, make sure smoke alarms are properly installed and working.
The main thing we strive for is that every house has working smoke alarms and OC detectors in them,” said Scott Kovarna, Deputy Fire Marshal. “We do offer a program where we can come out. We will send one of our rigs out or we will come out and do a safe home inspection. Check your house for any potential hazards and we can install up to two smoke alarms for the residence.”
Sioux City Fire Rescue says residents should never use their ovens to heat their homes.
Gas appliances can cause a build-up of carbon monoxide.
“You know when we are heading in this cold snap this weekend, people do try to use alternative means of heating and that’s usually when people get a little careless with heating appliances and do cause fires,” says Scott Kovarna, the Deputy Fire Marshal of Sioux City Fire Rescue.
The Sioux City Fire Department recommends checking smoke alarms at least once a month.
If you’d like to have your home inspected for this winter season, call (712) 279-6377.