UPDATE: Inspectors allow Spencer, IA surgery center to reopen after fire

UPDATE:

SPENCER, Iowa (KTIV) – Part of Spencer, Iowa’s hospital, which was damaged in a Monday night fire, has reopened to patients.

The surgery center was damaged by smoke from the fire that was sparked by a piece of sterilizing equipment. An employee pulled the fire alarm, and the sprinkler system put out the fire before firefighters arrived. But, smoke filled the surgical center, and other parts of the hospital, as well.

Thursday, a representative of the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals traveled to Spencer to inspect and approve the reopening of the area, which was impacted by smoke. The inspector allowed the surgery center to reopen Thursday afternoon.

All scheduled procedures, in the surgery center, will go on as planned on Friday.


PREVIOUS:

SPENCER, Iowa (KTIV) – Officials with the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) is scheduled on Thursday to inspect Spencer Hospital’s surgical center damaged from a fire on Monday.

Hospital officials say shortly after 5 p.m. Monday, a hospital worker in the surgical equipment sterilization area noticed sparks flying from one of the washer units.

The sparks were extinguished from a sprinkler system, but 16 patients were transferred to neighboring facilities due to smoke in other areas of the hospital.

“Our team has worked really hard since the incident occurred and we’re anxious to care for the patients who are in need of surgical procedures,” said Bill Bumgarner, Spencer Hospital president. “We look forward to the inspector’s visit.”

Hospital services were open Tuesday with the exception of the surgical center.


PREVIOUS:

SPENCER, Iowa (KTIV)- Officials from  Spencer Hospital say their surgery center will remain closed through Wednesday following a small equipment fire on Monday.

Other hospital services were open Tuesday, though hospital procedures were canceled Tuesday.  Hospital president Bill Bumgarner said they hope the surgery center will reopen later this week following a deep-cleaning process and approval from state officials.

Hospital officials say shortly after 5 p.m. Monday, a hospital worker in the surgical equipment sterilization area noticed sparks flying from one of the washer units.

The sparks were extinguished from a sprinkler system, but 16 patients were transferred to neighboring facilities due to smoke in other areas of the hospital.


PREVIOUS

SPENCER, Iowa (KTIV) – Some patients at a Spencer hospital have to be forced to evacuate following a fire earlier Monday night.

Spencer fire investigators say the fire was reported shortly at 5:12pm. A hospital spokesperson says an employee smelled smoke, and noticed sparks coming from a surgical sterilization washer. That employee notified a co-worker, who pulled the fire alarm.

Firefighters arrived to find the hospital’s fire protection system had already put out the fire. The fire was contained to one surgical sterilization unit.

“It’s an unfortunate situation, yet it’s also rewarding to see the professionalism and rapid response of our Spencer Hospital team, the community emergency personnel, and our colleagues at neighboring hospital facilities,” said Bill Bumgarner, Spencer Hospital president. “At no time were patients or hospital employees in danger.”

Sixteen patients had to be moved because the smoke had spread within the hospital. A hospital spokesperson says those patients were moved to Lakes Regional Healthcare in Spirit Lake, Palo Alto County Health System in Emmetsburg, and Avera McKennan in Sioux Falls.

“We greatly appreciate the assistance of everyone – the neighboring hospitals and ambulance crews, the fire department and law enforcement, ServePro staff, and our own Spencer Hospital team – for their rapid, efficient response,” Bumgarner said. “We train for potential emergencies and it’s rewarding to see how everything and everyone comes together to calmly and quickly address the situation.”

A hospital spokesperson says the surgical center will likely reopen this week. Any surgical procedures for Tuesday have been rescheduled.

There’s no word on how much damage was done by the fire, the smoke and the water from the fire protection system.

 

Blake Branch

Blake Branch

Top Stories

STORM TEAM 4 FORECAST
Connect with KTIV
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content