(NBC) – A new study shows a significant increase in the number of kids treated for swallowing foreign objects.
Researchers from Nationwide Children’s Hospital looked at emergency room data from 1995-2015.
During that time, the number of ‘swallowing’ cases involving kids under 6 nearly doubled.
Coins were the most frequent object ingested, but button batteries caused the most damage.
Although batteries only represented 7-percent of swallowing cases, ingestions increased 150-fold over the study period.
Button batteries represented 86-percent of battery ingestions.