Sioux City man pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter in fatal 4th Street incident

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00


SIOUX CITY (KTIV) – A Sioux City man will spend no more than five years behind bars for his role in a fatal assault on 4th Street last year.

On Monday, 25-year-old Ray Avila pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, and flight to avoid prosecution, in the death of 31-year-old Peter Johnson.

Avila will serve the two charges at the same time.

He will be credited for the 52 days he’s already served behind bars.

On July 29th, 2018, Avila was involved in an altercation with Johnson and another man.

Johnson suffered a fractured skull after, investigators say, Avila punched him and knocked him to the pavement.

After fleeing the country for almost a year, Avila was arrested in Jalisco, Mexico, in May.

Members of Johnson’s family spoke during today’s sentencing.

“I believe he should receive the maximum sentence for all three felonies that have set forth by the state of Iowa. I have nothing to say directly to the man who caused Peters death, Ray Avila, as there is nothing that I can say to make me feel better nothing I can say that can take away my pain and grief nothing that I can say that can lesson my trauma in the loss of my beloved son,” said Mary Ann Johnson, Johnson’s Mother

Avila has also been ordered to pay at least one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in restitution to the family.


SIOUX CITY (KTIV) – A Sioux City man has pleaded guilty to his role in the July 2018 death of another man on 4th Street.

On Monday in Woodbury County District Court, 25-old Ray Avila pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter and flight to avoid prosecution in the death of 31-year-old Peter Johnson, of Sioux City. Previously Avila pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter, assault causing serious injury, and flight to avoid prosecution.

Each charge brings with it a jail sentence not to exceed five years, which will run concurrently.

Investigators say Avila attacked Johnson on July 29, 2018, in Sioux City’s lower 4th Street district.

According to an affidavit, the attack happened after Johnson got into a fight with a person he thought was breaking into a car. According to the affidavit, that person was locked out of his car and was trying to break the window in order to get in.

Avila is said to have punched Johnson in the face, which knocked him to the ground onto the concrete sidewalk. Avila then fled from the scene. He was arrested in May in Mexico.

Johnson was taken to MercyOne Siouxland Medical Center where surgery was performed on him to attempt to alleviate bleeding and pressure on his brain. He would later die from his injuries.

Xava Parra

Xava Parra

Top Stories

Connect with KTIV
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content