Sioux City Fire Prevention warns residents about carbon monoxide poisoning

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

SIOUX CITY (KTIV) – Fire Prevention Week, and cold weather go hand-in-hand.

With the change in temperature, comes changes in habits that could be potentially dangerous.

Sioux City Fire Prevention wants to warn people about risks with carbon monoxide, fireplace maintenance, and even plant pots.

One of the more important tips has to do with the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Experts describe carbon monoxide as a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can only be detected by a carbon monoxide detector.

It’s advised that every household have a detector since everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

This gas can be produced by common home appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, gas clothes dryers, and gas water heaters.

That’s why Sioux City Fire Prevention is reminding everyone to get furnaces serviced now.

With the cold weather comes an uptick in furnace usage and, in turn, a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Typically what happens is people start firing up their furnaces for the first time. If they haven’t been checked, a lot of times they may experience some symptoms where they have headaches, that sort of thing and those are telltale symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Capt. Ryan Collins, Sioux City Deputy Fire Marshal.

Experts say other fire risks this time of year have to do with plant pots.

When the weather gets cold, many people uproot their plants.

In some cases, the pots will remain outside and become a place to throw used cigarettes, and that can be dangerous because that pot for plants can be extremely flammable.

Libbie Randall

Libbie Randall

Top Stories

Scroll to top
Skip to content