- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-2 tbsp of finely diced pickled jalapeno peppers
- Panko bread crumbs
- 9x13 Cake pan
- Mix 3 cups of water with 1 tsp of salt and boil in large saucepan.
- Mix 1 cup of cold water with 1 cup of yellow cornmeal and slowly stir into boiling water, stirring constantly. Caution, the mixture can "burp" hot mixture into you as it thickens.
- Place lid on pan and cook 10 minutes.
- Optional: Stir 1-2 tbsp of finely diced pickled jalapeno peppers into mixture.
- Cover bottom of cake pan with Panko bread crumbs (can use plain or seasoned crumbs.)
- Carefully spoon hot cornmeal into cake pan. Try to space out evenly as you will then smooth out the mixture making a fairly thin pan full.
- Sprinkle more Panko crumbs over top of the mixture, it will be cooling some by this point and you can carefully press crumbs into the cornmeal with the palm of your hand.
- Place mixture into the refrigerator for about two hours until it is set.
- When ready to cook, cut into whatever size pieces you wish and fry in a hot oiled fry pan until it is brown on both sides.
- Serve with poached, soft boiled or fried eggs.