SOUTH SIOUX CITY, NE (KTIV) - South Sioux City Community Schools are giving out free grab and go breakfast and lunches to all kids in the community, 18 or younger.
Organizers said the meals can be picked up on Mondays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
On Mondays, people are given 3 grab and go breakfasts and lunches, and on Thursdays, they are given two breakfasts and lunches.
"We have quite a few of our students who are on our free or reduced lunch here. And of course, they kind of count on our free or reduced lunch to get through the weeks and the days," said Lance Swanson, Director of Communication for South Sioux City Community Schools.
The pick-up locations include:
- Dakota City Elementary, 1801 Locust St, Dakota City - Door #1
- Cardinal Elementary, 820 E 29th Street - Door #11
- Covington Elementary, 2116 A Street - Door #3
Swanson said on Monday, they began delivering meals to the following places:
- Lake Village Mobile Home Park, 604 152nd Street
- Siouxland Estates, 1520 Atokad Drive
- Canterbury Village, 2515 Willow Street
- Riverfront Apartments, 860 Riverview Drive
- Klasey Park Baseball Field, West 12th Street
"Last week we averaged around maybe 300 students a day. This week with the new format, on Monday, numbers were up over 500," said Swanson.
The deliveries take place from 12:45 p.m. to 2 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, while supplies last.
Swanson said they hope the schools can reopen soon, but until then, they will continue to give out these free meals.