Skip to Content

Sioux City Fire Rescue asking residents to test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

(SIOUX CITY) - With bitterly cold temperatures on the way, Sioux City Fire Rescue is asking residents to test their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors before people start firing up space heaters to stay warm.

Deputy Fire Marshal Scott Kovarna said it is important to follow some basic safety guidelines while keeping warm.

He said to make sure your heaters and extension cords have a "U-L" certified safety sticker.

He also said to keep heaters at least 3 feet from anything flammable and never use a fuel burning heater indoors because they release carbon monoxide.

Kovarna said even when you follow these tips, it is still important to have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, in case something goes wrong.

"With any fuel burning appliance, even your furnace, it's working overtime right now, so we want to make sure it's working efficiently and properly." said Scott Kovarna, Sioux City Fire Rescue Deputy Fire Marshal.

He also recommends that you turn off your space heater when you head to bed and never use your oven to heat your home.

Author Profile Photo

Leslie London

Skip to content